Please follow the guidelines before, during, and after your procedure to ensure that your procedure & recovery goes smoothly:
Before Your Procedure
- Notify your physician as soon as possible if there is any change in your physical condition, such as a cold or fever.
- You will receive a phone call from our nursing and administrative staff 1-3 days prior to your procedure to review all instructions regarding your procedure. To protect your privacy, only a message to return our call will be left on your answering machine.
- If you wear contact lenses or glasses, bring a case for their safekeeping. We provide containers for removable dentures and bridgework.
- Follow the pre-procedural instructions given to you by your physician’s office. Do not eat anything after midnight, and do not have anything to drink four (4) hours prior to your arrival time except for any bowel preparation. Refrain from the use of mints, chewing gum or cigarettes. Failure to follow these instructions may result in the cancellation of your procedure.
- Please do not take any medication after midnight unless instructed by your physician or our office. If you take medications on a daily basis for heart disease, blood pressure, seizure disorders, or asthma, you may continue taking them with a small sip of water. If you take aspirin, blood thinning medications or herbal supplements, please notify your physician. Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of your procedure.
Day of Your Procedure
- It is your responsibility to arrange in advance for a responsible adult (18 years of age or older) to drive you home and remain with you for the first 24 hours after your procedure. You cannot drive during this period. If you fail to arrange for a responsible adult to care for you, your procedure may be canceled. Transportation by taxi or limousine, or ride sharing, is acceptable only if you are accompanied by a responsible adult and are taken directly home after your procedure. Public transportation is not acceptable.
- Do not use lotions, perfume or oils prior to your procedure.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing and comfortable shoes. No high-heeled shoes, please.
- Leave all valuables, including jewelry, laptops, and cash, at home. We cannot be responsible for lost or damaged property.
- Bring a list of your medications and supplements with you on the day of your procedure, both prescription and non-prescription.
- Be prepared to sign a form giving your consent for the procedure. If the patient is under 18, a parent of legal guardian must accompany the patient and sign the consent form.
- Please bring a form of payment for any out of pocket amounts due. These may include credit card, personal check, or cash.
After Your Procedure
- Before you leave the center, you will be given written instructions for your care at home.
- After you have returned home, be sure to follow your doctor’s orders regarding diet, rest, medication and activity. It is not unusual to feel a little sleepy, lightheaded, or dizzy for several hours after your procedure. Do not sign any important papers or make any significant decisions for at least 24 hours.
- If you have any questions or problems after procedure, please contact your doctor.
- You will receive a phone call from an Endoscopy Center associate within a few days after your procedure to check on your recovery and answer any additional questions you may have.
- Do not drive a car, smoke, drink alcoholic beverages, operate machinery or cook for 24 hours after procedure.
- Your physician will update you or your family after the procedure. If biopsies were taken, results will be available from the physician’s office within ten working days.